Butternut Squash and Cheddar Bread Pudding
Total time: 3 hours
Yield: 12 servings
- 2 ⅔ pounds peeled seeded butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 ½ teaspoons coarse kosher salt divided plus additional for sprinkling
- 9 large eggs
- 3 cups half and half
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 ¾ tablespoons, minced fresh thyme
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp hot sauce
- 1 day-old baguette (do not remove crust), torn into 1-inch pieces (about 13 1/2 cups)
- 2 cup chopped shallots (about 8 large)
- 1 ¼ pound of Tuscan kale, ribs removed, kale coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss squash with 1 ½ tablespoons oil on 2 rimmed baking sheets Sprinkle generously with coarse salt; bake until squash is tender, turning with spatula occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes.
Whisk eggs in large bowl. Add half and half, wine, thyme, mustard, hot sauce and 2 teaspoons coarse salt; whisk to blend. Add baguette pieces; fold gently into egg mixture. Let soak 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté until soft, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Add kale and ½ teaspoon of salt; cover and cook 2 minutes. Uncover and stir until kale is wilted but still bright green, about 5 minutes (kale will be a bit crunchy).
Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
Generously butter 15x10x2-inch baking dish. If you don’t have one that large, use a 9x12 and an 8x8. Using slotted spoon, transfer half of bread from egg mixture to prepared baking dish[es], arranging to cover most of dish. Spoon half of kale over bread. Spoon half of squash over bread and kale; sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat with remaining bread, kale, squash, and cheese. Pour remaining egg mixture from bowl over bread pudding. Cover bread pudding with foil. Can sit on counter for up to 3 hours.
An hour prior to serving, bake bread pudding covered for 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake uncovered until custard is set and bread feels springy to touch, about 30 minutes longer. Set oven to broil. Broil for 2 minutes until top is lightly browned.